Welcome to another episode of The Marketer’s Edge, a series designed to share senior level marketing perspective about marketer challenges, opportunities, and agency relationships. Our goal is to help marketers and agencies learn from other marketers across different industries. Today we are speaking with Pam Piligian, Chief Marketing Officer & SVP at Navy Federal Credit Union.
Navy Federal Credit Union
Navy Federal Credit Union is a member-owned and not-for-profit credit union exclusively serving the military, veterans and their families. It was founded during the Great Depression by 7 Navy Department employees who wanted to help themselves and their co-workers reach their financial goals. They envisioned a credit union that would offer loans with affordable rates and manageable terms, and wanted to encourage building financial security by providing a safe place to deposit savings and earn dividends. The same mission that inspired their founders still drives them today.
What We Discussed:
In today’s interview with Pam Piligian, we discussed a wide range of topics, including:
- What kind of organization Navy Federal Credit Union is and Pam’s role within the organization.
- Pam’s decision to transition from the agency side to the client side in marketing, after having 30 years of experience in account leadership roles.
- The evolving dynamics between agencies and clients, and the reasons behind this shift.
- The challenges Pam faced when moving to the client side, as well as some unexpected aspects of this transition.
- Advice for agency professionals who are considering a move to the client side.
- The major changes that have occurred in the banking and credit union industry over the past five years.
- The process Pam utilizes to assess whether Navy Federal Credit Union’s proposition remains differentiating and compelling.
- The importance of building strong perceived value among existing members for credit unions.
- Pam’s involvement with Chief, a Washington DC-Baltimore Area chapter for senior women leaders, and their efforts to empower women and promote leadership.
- Advice for marketers who are thinking about bringing an agency onboard.
- Any guidance Pam would provide to agencies seeking to win business from her.
Thanks Pam for a great interview!
Want to watch more of The Marketer’s Edge interviews? If so, click here.