Welcome to another episode of The Marketer’s Edge, a series designed to share senior level marketing perspective about marketer challenges, opportunities, and agency relationships. Our goal is to help marketers and agencies learn from other marketers across different industries. Today, we are talking with Emily Gonzalez, the Vice President of Marketing and Communications for Visit Mobile.
Visit Mobile is Mobile, Alabama’s official destination marketing organization charged with attracting visitors and conventions to the Mobile area to experience and enjoy their history, culture and attractions in order to further strengthen Mobile’s image as a national destination, increasing economic stability and enhancing the region’s quality of life.
What We Discussed:
In today’s interview with Emily Gonzalez, we discussed a wide variety of issues:
- What it is that Visit Mobile does, and the six pillars the organization focuses on.
- The biggest differences marketing vacation rentals (her previous job) versus marketing a city.
- How she determines where to place her marketing emphasis when there are so many different offerings.
- How she uses data and analytics to optimize her marketing efforts.
- The biggest marketing challenge that Emily faces marketing Mobile, AL.
- Her degree from the Southeast Tourism Society and how that impacts the work she does.
- How the business of marketing a city like Mobile has changed over the years.
- How Emily determines the best positioning for Mobile to most effectively differentiate it from other destinations.
- Whether she currently uses an agency in her marketing efforts.
- Advice she would give to marketers thinking about bringing a new agency on board.
- And lastly, if an agency was trying to knock down Emily’s door and attempting to win business from her, the advice she would give them.
Thanks Emily for a great interview!
Want to watch more of The Marketer’s Edge interviews? If so, click here.